Kings of War
Cody R. SmithTournament Organizer
Two years ago, at the encouragement of a friend, Cody purchased a two player battle box from Mantic Games for Kings of War. Ever since, he has been hooked! Over the past couple of years, Cody has been competing in tournaments all over Florida and Georgia, winning awards and accolades. Now he is stepping up to lead the Kings of War Scene at Crucible! He is a Mantic Pathfinder and has a deep appreciation for the ruleset and great community that Kings of War has built around itself.
Kings of War Doubles Tournament
Friday, October 12th
10:00-10:30 – Registration and Pairings
10:40-12:50 – Game 1
1:00-2:00 – Lunch
2:10-4:20 – Game 2
4:30-6:40 – Game 3
6:40 till whenever – Shenanigans!!!
Each team is considered to be made of 2 separate 1000 point forces. Any Force list in the Kings of War 2nd edition rulebook, Uncharted Empires supplement and the Kings of War Historical Army Book may be used. Any Force Lists may be paired together to form a team regardless of alignment. Allies and “Living Legends” CANNOT be used in this event. Please note that per Clash of Kings 2018 each 1000 point force may not select the same unit entry of type War Engine, Hero or Monster more than once. Scenarios will be chosen at random from the Clash of Kings 2018 book before each round.
- Teams will drop one unit per player during deployment.
- Players may cast spells with the “Friendly Unit Only” designation on their teammates units UNLESS the two are armies are of Good and Evil alignment
Please bring at least two copies of your list to the tournament: one for yourself and one for your opponents. Each list should clearly identify the units in the army, any items they contain, and the point cost for each. We strongly encourage all players to use Kings of War Easy Army as it is a quick and accurate way to make lists. http://kow2.easyarmy.com/clash-of- kings-2018.aspx ***Please submit lists to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before October 7th*** The winner of each round will be determined by the completion of one of twelve scenarios from the Clash of Kings book. These scenarios will be chosen at RANDOM.
This event is specifically meant to be a mixer and social affair. With that in mind, please be courteous and accepting of everyone playing regardless of skillset. Bring drinks, dress up, make up crazy themes, relax and enjoy the game. Save the cut throat play for the GT! This was very well received at Crucible 6.5 and I’m happy to bring it back for Crucible 7!
Kings of War Grand Tournament
9:00-9:15 – Registration and Pairings
9:15-11:30 – Game 1
11:30-12:45 – Lunch
1:00-3:15 – Game 2
3:30-5:45 – Game 3
Sunday, October 14th
9:00-9:15 – Registration and Pairings
9:15-11:30 – Game 4
11:40-1:55 – Game 5
2:00-2:20 – Awards and Closing Ceremony
This is a 2250 point event for Kings of War 2nd Edition; we will be using the following books and rulesets: Kings of War 2nd Edition Core rulebook (Allies CANNOT be used in this event.)– with FAQ’s from the Rules Committee. Found HERE. Uncharted Empires, Kings of War Historicals– historical units may, however, use the mythical creatures and veteran abilities lists from the Historical rulebook. Clash of Kings 2018– all changes to units and rules will be used. Edge of the Abyss– Special Characters only.
CRUCIBLE MONSTER: In addition to your normal 2250 list, this tournament requires a Crucible Monster to accompany your army into battle. This monster can be represented by any monster on a 50×50 base (or larger, exceptional base rule and all). Please take this time to work on a special monster! This is a Halloween and horror themed event, model accordingly. The Monsters will change for each round and will be the same across the room. The chosen monster will be announced before each round. Please see below for the Monsters at Crucible!
Heights for terrain pieces are as follows:
- Blocking Terrain: Height 4
- Forests: Height 5
- Hills: Height 2
- Obstacles: Height 1
- Difficult Terrain: Height 0 – Wheat Fields, Broken Earth etc.
- Flat Terrain: Height 0 (Only grants cover when 50% of your base is within terrain.) Rivers, Lakes, trenches.
Chess Clocks are encouraged to be used by participants to ensure that everyone gets their allotted time for each game; however, these will not be mandatory to use.
Painted armies are strongly encouraged out of consideration for all participants. While Mantic models are encouraged, players are permitted to use any number of non-Mantic miniatures in their armies. There is no minimum requirement for Mantic models. Models and units must be based on the appropriate base size and shape for their type. “Counts-as” and Proxy models are allowed, however please contact the Tournament Organizer before the event to ensure they are acceptable.
Please bring at least two copies of your list to the tournament: one for yourself and one for your opponents. Each list should clearly identify the units in the army, any items they contain, and the point cost for each. We strongly encourage all players to use Kings of War Easy Army as it is a quick and accurate way to make lists. http://kow2.easyarmy.com/clash-of- kings-2018.aspx ***Please submit lists to email@example.com on or before October 7th***
The winner of each round will be determined by the completion of one of twelve scenarios from the Clash of Kings 2018 book. These scenarios will be chosen at RANDOM. We will be using the BlackJack scoring system for scoring this event. If you have any questions about this system please let me know and I will be happy to talk to you about it. You can find out more about it HERE.
Painting Scores will be determined using the Painting Checklist below.
- Unpainted Models: Armies in this category will receive 0 points.
- Bare Minimum Painting: Armies in this category will receive 15 points.
- Standard GT Army Points: Armies in this category will receive 20 points.
- Well-Executed GT Army Points: Armies in this category will receive 25 points.
Bonus Points: These are extra features that we believe go beyond expectations of even a well-executed GT army. For the purposes of the painting award, any number of these may be added to your score; however, for purposes of tournament scoring, painting scores are capped at 30 total points.
- Clear army theme reflected in appearance (1 point)
- Use of Banners or a themed leader unit throughout the army (1 point)
- The use of NMM (Non-Metallic Metal) (1 point)
- The use of wet blending. (1 point)
- An elaborate display board that clearly ties with the army’s appearance (3 point)
- A backdrop for your army display board. (1 point)
- A name plate that adds to the army in some way (pictures, engraving, etc.) (1 point)
- Some themed narrative or artistic piece that somehow tells the story of the army (1 point)
- Very elaborate basing (action poses, multibasing, etc.) (1 point)
Sportsmanship Scores (30 Points Maximum)
Each Participant will start the Tournament with 5 sports points. In addition to the starting 5 points at the end of each game you will answer the following questions. Each “yes” will score 1 point for your opponent:
- Would you willingly play this person again?
- Would you willingly play this army again?
- Was your opponent on time, prepared and ready to play at the start of the round?
- Did your opponent offer a good gaming experience?
At the end of the tournament each player will rank their top three opponents. Each vote will garner the following points for your opponents:
- First place vote: 3 Points
- Second place vote: 2 Points
- Third place vote: 1 Point
- “King of Crucible” (Crown of Crucible – Trophy): Highest Battle + Paint + Sports
- “Battlefield Badass” (Brass Knuckles of Badassery – Trophy): Highest Battle
- “Super Swell Sport” (Scepter of Sportsmanship – Trophy): Highest Sports Score
- “Perfection in Painting” (Palintir of Painting – Trophy): Judged by Rick Casler (Professional Painter and Crucible’s own painting guru!)
- “Maybe this isn’t for you…” (Lance of Last Place Trophy): Worst Battle
- “Monster Masher”: Best Crucible Monster Model (As voted on by the room)
- **** ALL TIEBREAKERS WILL BE SETTLED WITH A TRIAL BY (foam) COMBAT!!! If you are unable or unwilling to participate in the combat you can elect a Champion to fight in your stead.
The following companies and individuals have offered prize support for this Tournament:
RGD Gaming: http://rgdgaming.com/
Armada Games: http://armadagames.com/
Critical Hit Games: http://criticalhitgames.biz/
Wartime Hobbies: http://www.boltaction.us/